2017-03-29

Apartment Living _2


As I said in my previous Apartment Living post, living in a brand new apartment building is like being enrolled in a beta program of some software. Even the real estate developers don't know what 'bugs' you may find.

My apartment whistles. Yes, no kidding! Specifically, it is the front door that whistles whenever the cooking hood or the bathroom extract is on, or if it really windy outside, but the noise is so loud that there is nowhere to hide from it in the apartment. There are plenty of things, such as storage space and water pressure, that I knew intuitively to check at inspection time. This is definitely not one of them.

Strangely, it started off as just a mild lower frequency vibration noise, similar to the noise from a fridge, but it gradually morphed into a screaming pitch as more apartments on the floor become occupied.

There was high wind a couple of days ago. I sat here in my study nook at the farthest point in the apartment from the front door. And the monster screeching flooded in like an ocean wave. Suffice to say, not much thinking took place that morning. 

If I find a good ogg to mp3 converter, I'll add a recording here for you to have a listen. For now, please enjoy another photo of this morning. In case you wonder, the dot in front of the sun is a hot air balloon.

Another breathtaking sunrise - Melbourne, Australia

April 1, 2017
Ugh! May be it is April fool joke. First, Blogger wouldn't accept an mp3. Then, when I converted it to an mp4 Blogger kept complaining "there was an error while processing your video". So, no sound samples, I'm afraid.

We now have stuck foam tape to the door where the draft makes a whistle. Unfortunately, we need a more permanent solution that does not lose elasticity or be easily detached by the violent draft.

*sigh* Finding the cause of a bug is only a portion of debugging.


No comments:

Post a Comment